Wednesday 16 July 2008

Nearly Holiday Time

Well, it is Wednesday morning, not long to go! Getting excited now!

We are off on Saturday morning - first down to Cape Town for 10 days (we are going to a Golden Wedding Anniversary celebration... Does anyone know what you buy as a gift for a couple who have been married for 50 years? I don't think I have ever known a couple who have reached such a milestone! Well other than the couple whose GWA we are going to CT for!)

Then, after CT we make the big journey:

Cape Town > Dubai >Athens >Skopelos.

This journey starts on the 28th of July and finishes on the 30th of July, Cape Town to Dubai is about 10 hours, Dubai to Athens is about 5 hours, Athens to Skopelos is about 7 hours. How much fun is that going to be?

Please note that the last question was rhetorical!

Sadly, we will only be on our island home for two weeks and then it is back to Dubai to start work again as both of us start on the 17th August!

I don't think I will blog from Cape Town, but I probably will blog from Skopelos - once I have woken up after the journey!

9 comments:

Em said...

bon voyage!

Unknown said...

Have a brilliant time!

Keef said...

And paint those bloody shutters again!

Jayne said...

I hope you & Mrs DB have a wonderful time, both in Kaapstad & Skopelos :-)
As for the GWA gift.......hmmm.....well I organised a really big bouquet of beautiful gold roses for my folks at the time & I sent them a beautiful poem plaque thingy, which was specific for the big 50th. It's a bit of a bugger really, but I s'pose anything gold related, whether big or small, would be appreciated?

CaliforniaKat said...

A 50th is such a big deal! The traditional gift is gold, but I don't know anyone who made it to 50 years and it's difficult to make a suggestion without knowing a bit about the couple. I found this:

http://www.seniorstore.com/angif.html

Also, I hope you have a kalo taxidi and relaxing time, or as best as possible on a harried 2-day trek to Skopelos. See you all in GR!

Anonymous said...

Get them something edible! :-)

Have a great trip. I'm looking forward to a post from Skopelos!

Keef said...

Billy, I know you're avers to fillums, but 'Mama Mia' was shot on Skopelos, so you ought to check it out and do a post about the locations. Unless you don't want to, of course.

Mme Cyn said...

Chalk up another 50-- my parent's anniversary is next week (married uly 25, 1958). Though my mother occasionally introduces Dad as "my first husband.." Hmmm.

xxxxxx said...

Hi, Just seen you're off travelling, all the best and I am very envious of you spendng time on Skopelos. Imagine you can see the Mamma Mia film while you are there, under the stars.
Don't think we're going to make it this year, Pip hasn't been very well lately. Waiting for test results from the hospital. Too much smoking & drinking over his life time now taking its toll.
We hope you have a GREAT TIME and all the best, long, long way but it will be worth it :-)
Regards, Marion