Friday 20 June 2008

The New Season's Fixtures

So, the Premier League fixtures for the 2008/09 season are now out and my beloved Bolton Wanderers start off their campaign with a home match against newly promoted Stoke City on the 16th of August (the day after I get back from holiday, so I shall be able to watch that one!)

I've got to say that newly promoted teams worry me. I can remember us getting promoted to the Premier League and thrashing Leicester City 5 - 0 (and I think that was at Leicester). The newly promoted teams often seem to bring some impetus with them from their promotion campaign, usually it disappears after a few matches and the reality of struggling to survive sets in. But there can be some really odd results in the early days of the season.

Bolton managed to survive a relegation battle by the skin of their teeth last season, and whilst it was exciting, it wasn't much fun! I would not be surprised to see us battling again this season (of course, I'd like to be able to say that we will be battling for a place in Europe, but...) so getting three points against the newly promoted teams at home is an absolute necessity.

Time will tell...

No comments: