Saturday 3 May 2008

Almost There!

Well, my prayers were well and truly answered today - Bolton 2 Sunderland 0.

Birmingham lost to Fulham - I'd asked for a draw but I am even more pleased with this result than the draw - Birmingham can no longer catch Bolton! Great!

Reading lost at home to Tottenham - brilliant result for us - Reading are now 3 points adrift of us with one game to play - the best they can do is draw level, but they are also 11 goals adrift of us in terms of goal difference.

Fulham beat Birmingham so they are now 3 points adrift of us but have a goal difference which is five inferior to us.

Middlesboro won and are therefore safe - well done to them.

So, next week, we are away to Chelsea, Reading are away to Derby and Fulham are away to Portsmouth. The only way Bolton can be relegated is if Fulham, Chelsea and Reading all win; and if the margin Chelsea win by added to the margin Fulham win by is greater than 5; and if the margin Chelsea win by added to the margin Reading win by is greater than 11.

Now, I think Bolton may lose, I think Reading may win, but I can't see Fulham beating Portsmouth, I also can't see the necessary scores happening.

So, although mathematically we cannot say yet that Bolton are safe, I feel pretty damned sure that Bolton Wanderers will be enjoying Premier League football again next season.

It has been a good day!